Saturday, October 21, 2006

Afterthoughts

I've been back home for three weeks, although I've been travelling on business for two of those weeks. When I look back at my memories of Mongolia, I'm joyed that I had the opportunity to visit the country. When I told my friends & family where I was going, my statement was often met with questions about where Mongolia was. The second question was: why would I want to go there?

I wanted to go for several reasons. I wanted to escape the hectic work routine for awhile, and I wanted to get away from western culture. My second reason for going was the people; Mongolians are one of the few cultures on Earth that have a pastoral/nomadic lifestyle. I was curious about how they lived, and I wanted to experience it for myself, no matter how uncomfortable it may have been. My first expectation was fulfilled as soon as the plane lifted off the ground in Chicago. I spent almost three weeks without a mobile phone, and I only used the computer to let everyone know that I had arrived safely. I had time to reflect back on my life, and ask myself questions about what I value and where my life was headed. While those questions will never end, I feel that I've made additional progress on sorting the answers.

My second expectation was completely fulfilled. What I found in Mongolia was the most hospitable people that I've ever met. When we visited the local families, we walked right into their ger. You do not knock - you walk in and sit on the ground. They serve you milk and food, sometimes before the conversation even starts. The people who are better off are making about $100USD/month, yet they never hesitate to give you whatever food/drink they have. This isn't limited to visitors, but also travellers - people help one another when their vehicles are broke down on the side of the road - we gave away gas, anti-freeze, and even borrowed someone a tire throughout our trip across the countryside. This culture of giving makes you feel secure - someone will always be there to help you. This fiercely contrasts to my lifestyle back in the US. If a car is broke down on the side of the highway, the last thing that we do is to stop. They could be a kidnapper, or we just don't feel like stopping because we have someplace to go and we're already behind schedule. Who has a better quality of life - the Americans or people in other countries? I'm guilty of the same situation that I describe above. And while I doubt I'm going to change, I do think more about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a Mongolian and I really enjoyed reading your blog as I always wondered what kind of reflections tourists have about Mongolia. It's great you went there with an open mind and took time to explore the country. I'm definitely proud of the natural beauty and hospitable culture of my country, I'm glad you also appreciate that. On the other hand you're right about the difficult living situations the poor have. However, it is worth mentioning that Mongolia's annual economic growth of over 10% has allowed more opportunities for the people to improve their lifestyle. An example is the family with satellite dish and solar panel. As few as 5 years ago it was hard to find such nomadic families.
I also second your reflections about Ulaanbaatar. I can't imagine living there either (I live in Chicago now). I go there once a year to see my family and every visit gives me an opportunity to get a perspective about how spoiled life is in the States and makes me want to come back and work towards making Mongolia stronger.
Keep up with you interesting travels!

Best regards,
Odmaa