Monday, September 18, 2006

Backstreet Boys in Mongolia?

Impossible you say - but I would argue otherwise. Last night we Olongerel, Nansa, and I played poker. After Nansa finished collecting all of our belongings, including my watch, shirt, hat, and beer, we decided to have a disco. The best part about this was that I was still the only tourist at the camp. I was dancing with the staff to various music, including that of the Backstreet Boys. The camp has a generator that they turn on from 9pm - 11pm each night, so we were able to use the cd player. In addition to Backstreet Boys, we also shaked our butts to Black Eyed Peas and 50 Cent. I'm always amazed at how American pop culture has infiltrated foreign countries; especially a northern Asian nation of nomads who are outnumbered by livestock at a ratio of 10:1. Nevertheless, it was nice to hear something familiar, even if it was a crappy boy band.




I think that my body is starting to feast upon itself. The constant supply of grains and milk products have offset any nutrition that still remains in my body. There is one benefit that can come of this - I hope I gain some weight to keep me a bit warmer. My hands and feet have been constantly cold, and a bit of extra blubber would make the temperature more bearable.

2 comments:

Wilks said...

interesting blog, I noticed the beer in the picture is "Cass",a Korean brewed beer. Is this the common beer in Mongolia? Living in Korea for the past 4 years, I've had my fair share of the stuff.

Jeremy said...

Thanks for the feedback - I don't think that I get too many visitors besides friends & family. Feedback is always appreciated.

Cass beer was all over Mongolia; it was considered one of the less expensive beers, but I'd say it was fairly popular. In Ulaanbataar, Khan Brau was the beer of choice for the elite (about $2 USD per bottle). There were several other items that were imported from Korea. One of my favorites was an aloe drink - I wish I had photos of the bottle...